Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rich enough is rich enough? (Publicus Proventus)


I've been criticized in the past for my stance that athletes should not hurt their teams by demanding too much money, and for my stance that nobody should make more than $200,000 per year, and my stance that there's such a thing as having too much money.

The general tenor of those criticisms is that I shouldn't tell people how much money they can have, and I'm a communist, and things like that.

But apparently I've convinced some people of the rightness of my views. Noted conservative writer/thinker and football columnist Gregg Easterbrook, brother of a Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals justice, discussed in his column the plans to change the NFL season to an 18-game schedule, and said this as a wrap-up of his (entirely correct) opposition to the move:

Sure, owners want to maximize revenue. But they're all already wealthy -- they should be content to be wealthy and selling a successful product. Why must owners demand more from the goose that lays the golden eggs? NFL owners can't really be stupid enough to ruin the NFL, can they? Don't answer that!

Is Gregg Easterbrook saying that wealthy people should not try to become more wealthy? Put another way, is he a communist? As Gregg might say, don't answer that!

No comments: