Friday, December 03, 2010

I cook the vegetables for a few minutes only. (Friday's Sunday's Poem/Hot Actress 68)



Ladies and Gentlemen in Outer Space
Ron Padgett

Here is my philosophy:
Everything changes (the word "everything"
has just changed as the
word "change" has: it now
means "no change") so
quickly that it literally surpasses my belief,
charges right past it
like some of the giant
ideas in this area.
I had no beginning and I shall have
no end: the beam of light
stretches out before and behind
and I cook the vegetables
for a few minutes only,
the fewer the better. Butter
and serve. Here is my
philosophy: butter and serve.
____________________________________________________

About the poem: Isn't it nice to have Friday's Sunday's Poem back on Friday, where it belongs? Kind of? I thought so, too.

I picked this poem because it reminds me of one of my favorite comic strips ever, from the Pickles strip. I had it on our refrigerator for a while, but lost it, and I can't find it again. It goes something like this: Earl and Opal are sitting in their living room, and Earl begins talking. He says something like "Sometimes I wonder why we're here," and then in Panel 2 says "And then I begin to wonder about how everything got here and how the universe was created," and then in Panel 3 says "And then I wonder How come we never have waffles anymore?"

Which to me is the end result of all philosophical questions: It always boils down to something like how come we never have waffles anymore?

About The Hot Actress. It's Helen Mirren. Who, despite being in that embarrassing movie "RED" is apparently quite an actress... although, come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie she's in. I think she's just always played the Queen.

No comments: