Friday, April 22, 2011

I do not need my freedom when I'm dead (Friday's Sunday's Poem/Hot Actress 79)

Democracy
By Langston Hughes

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

________________________________________________________________

About the poem: I don't always think about politics. In fact, a relatively small percentage of my time is spent thinking about politics. Today, for example, I slept in until 7 a.m., then got Mr F and Mr Bunches dressed, then I showered and got dressed, and then I ate breakfast and read webcomics on my phone, and only then did I begin thinking about anything serious -- mortgage foreclosure consent decrees-- but then I stopped that after a while and instead thought about songs about sports and then swung Mr F around in a blanket for a while, and now I'm back to thinking about politics, but only for another moment because then I'll be talking

About the Hot Actress: who is Anna Chlumsky, and here's what I know about her: she was in "My Girl," a movie that, if you ever get stung by bees, you will be told about over and over even if you never watched it. I never saw that movie, and I didn't know who Anna Chlumsky was, but then some website this week said she's all grown up, and she's just over 30, so she makes the list for reasons that, as I look back on them, seem pretty weak.

So maybe it'll strengthen the case if I mention that she was in Law & Order twice? I've never forgotten about the Law&Orderpocalypse, you know.

1 comment:

PT Dilloway said...

My sisters made me watch "My Girl" about 200 times. It's actually not that bad of a movie, especially when she gets her period for the first time and screams at Macauly Culkin, "Come back in 5-7 days!"