Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Da... daaaa.... daaaa.... Da-da... (Bom Bom Bom Bom Bom Bom)(It's "Also Sprach Zarathustra," in case you didn't get that.)

I know the title may have been hard to follow, but it was one of the two songs I thought would work to mark this day.

The only other song I could think of to highlight this momentous occasion which cannot possibly be hyped enough -- an occasion that will stand alone in human history as the one day that all of mankind will never forget, an occasion that one day is destined to be marked by a holiday, no make that a week off, no make that a monthlong celebration... the only other song I could think of that somehow combines a sense of wonder and dread, impending doom and impending fascination, the only other song that somehow seemed to sum up this moment, was "Convoy," by Kris Kristofferson. But would it have been as dramatic if I'd titled this post:

"Ah, breaker one-nine, this heres the rubber duck. you gotta copy on me, pig pen, cmon."

I think not. Yes, you'd get goosebumps just like I do when I listen to that song, but something would have been missing.

The occasion in question prompting all this musical reverie is this:

The unveiling of Frankencouch!

And here it is:


Frankencouch has resided in our house for the last few weeks, lording it over the other furniture as the newest and most obviously hodgepodged piece of furniture we've ever bought. I think it might just be the most obviously hodgepodged piece of furniture ever made.

Look closely at it, above there. The pillow-cushions on the back are clearly from several different pieces of furniture. The seat cushions are from an entirely different sofa. And the base of Frankencouch itself literally was bolted together from other parts of couches.

Plus, it has sort of a medieval look to it, doesn't it?

With all that, though, Frankencouch couldn't possibly fit in better at our house. With a wider angle we can see a bit of the room around it:


There you catch a glimpse, at the bottom, of the hand-me-down orange couch, looking pink in this light. You can see in the upper corner the wedding chair, a sage-y green. Just out of sight to the right, behind the blurry twins that never stop moving, is the rocking chair and next to that is the coffee table that nobody can touch.

I want to draw your attention, though, to an interior decorating feature that is almost criminally underused in modern homes. In the center of that picture above you'll see an orange leopard-spotted pillow strapped by old belts to the support pole in our family room.

Lots of people are afraid to just strap cushions to the structural features of their home. They're afraid that others will look down on them. But this, I can assure you, is the newest trend in home decorating. In the next few years, every where you look, homes will have pillows and cushions bolted up, tied to walls, strapped to floors-- you name it. You'll know it's hit it big when In Touch does a feature on celebrities who have cushions strapped to their Malibu beach house decks.

The twins in that picture are playing Cloverfield.* We were playing it and I stopped to take some pictures of Frankencouch. They didn't notice:
As you can see, they just kept on going. In fact, they no longer needed me. Mr Bunches here was going to Cloverfield himself:

With these pictures, I've now fulfilled my duty to show Frankencouch to the world, and have also cemented my place in history as one of the greatest interior designers ever -- to go along with my position as Best Parent Ever, the Stephen Hawking of Candy, and my ongoing role as The Snoopy. Feel free to ask me for advice on anything. Anything at all. I'm there for you.

*note: "Cloverfield" the game is TM The Trouble With Roy, and has nothing whatsoever to do with "Cloverfield" the movie because I've still never seen "Cloverfield" the movie. So call off the lawyers, JJ.






No comments: