Sunday, July 17, 2011

TWINKIE WATCH: Day 35.

Remember when I was going to post these every day? Turns out that there are two good reasons not to do that.

1. I work for a living, you know.

B. Also, I'm not in the office every day, and as I've previously mentioned, Sweetie would probably not want me letting a Twinkie rot around the house, whereas the people in my office are I assume not yet aware that there is SCIENCE going on amidst them. Or around them. Or at least down the hall from them.

iii. Not much changes in the Twinkie from day to day. I'm starting to think it is Immortal, as though this Twinkie has or one day will grace the halls of Valhalla, sharing a frosty mug of mead with Helgi Hundingsbane and flirting with Valkyries.

It was in the spirit of Twinkie The Immortal that I tried to pose the Twinkie with a Worthy Opponent of SCIENCE, using an action figure that I happened to have laying around in my office:




I actually tried, for about 10 minutes, to pose them in such a way as to make it look as though the luchador was grappling with Twinkie The Immortal, but that turned out to be beyond my artistic capabilities, so instead you get that picture, in which the luchador appears to be the Evil Master of both Twinkie The Immortal and Control Group, which also remains curiously unchanged.

In fact, as I looked at them today, I noted that there had really been no alteration in either, other than that Twinkie The Immortal is now rock hard. Then I wondered whether there was something about peppermint patties that would make them impervious to spoiling, and I thought that I'd heard once that peppermint inhibits spoiling.

So I googled "Does peppermint keep things from spoiling" and I found out that peppermint helps keep mice away, which means that if I had done this experiment at home, we would not only not have any mice, but probably also that bat wouldn't have gotten into our house, because if peppermint keeps mice away, then it follows that Immortal Twinkies help repel bats.

That's SCIENCE for you.

Day Twenty-Eight here, if you feel like going back and seeing what the Twinkie looked like a week ago. (Spoiler Alert! It looked like a Twinkie.)

2 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

Yesterday I saw a sign on the highway for a company promising to get bats out of your house. Maybe this is a growing trend. Do bats like Twinkies, though? Maybe they could suck the cream out of them.

anna. said...

SCIENCE is awesome. glad you're still persevering with the experiment. i may never eat a twinkie (or peppermint patty) again.