Tuesday, December 06, 2011

SUPERXmas! Day 9: Mr Bunches covers Katy Perry.


Day 9 was actually part one of a two-parter: We went to get the materials to begin making gifts for the boys' teachers -- but because I got home late, and because it took forever to get the stuff, we opted to carry over the actual making of the gifts until tonight.

So OFFICIAL SUPERXmas! Day 9 was "Getting the stuff to make the gifts for the boys' teachers," and UNOFFICIAL SUPERXmas! Day 9 was "Watching last night's episode of The Closer, in which there was a murder at a Santa's Village," in which Fred Willard mentioned Santa's Oath, and so I checked to see if that's a real thing, and it is:

The Santa Claus Oath

I will seek knowledge to be well versed in the mysteries of bringing Christmas cheer and good will to all the people that I encounter in my journeys and travels.

I shall be dedicated to hearing the secret dreams of both children and adults.

I understand that the true and only gift I can give, as Santa, is myself.

I acknowledge that some of the requests I will hear will be difficult and sad. I know in these difficulties there lies an opportunity to bring a spirit of warmth, understanding and compassion.

I know the “real reason for the season” and know that I am blessed to be able to be a part of it.

I realize that I belong to a brotherhood and will be supportive, honest and show fellowship to my peers.

I promise to use “my” powers to create happiness, spread love and make fantasies come to life in the true and sincere tradition of the Santa Claus Legend.

I pledge myself to these principles as a descendant of Saint Nicholas the gift giver of Myra.

I'm not sure that the only gift Santa can give is himself, as I'm also pretty sure that Santa can give things like an iPad.

The episode also reminded me of the This American Life in which they investigated a division in the union of Santas, the Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas, a real thing that has a website here, and reminded me of the episode of Monk in which Monk investigated the murder of another Santa, apparently because crime TV shows all work from the same show bible.

In other SUPERXmas! Updates, here is Mr Bunches singing his new favorite song, "Let's Go All The Way," by Katy Perry, before I reminded him of the reason for the season:






And here you can see a bit of Santa's Visit from the other day, until Santa's Goon stops the video-ing:




And here is not "The Closer" episode I watched.





Prior Days:

One: Putting up the yard decorations

Two: Making a Christmas list

Three: Sleep, Actually

Four: How to make popsicle stick (SUPER)Xmas trees, in 437 easy steps.

5 & 6: It's a SUPERXmas! Miracle.

Day 7:
Santa, Babies.

Day 8: When Christmas was corykilverty

1 comment:

PT Dilloway said...

Homemade gifts for the teacher? So you're teaching your kids how to brown nose? Probably a good idea.