Friday, August 28, 2015

Friday Five: Five Specific Comic Strips I Remember From Long Ago, For Some Reason

About the only thing I miss from newspapers is the comics page. I know there are comics on the Internet but it's not really the same.  

1. I'm A Reasonable Man, Doonesbury.


So I was kind of a weird kid. I used to check out Doonesbury collections from the library, and one of the first was one from the 1970s in which Duke went and became the governor of American Samoa, with Zonker as his lieutenant governor. I had no idea what many of the strips were about, but they helped me piece together, slowly, lots of things that were going on around me in the world.

I don't know why this strip is the one that stuck with me, though. It just has.  I think of it everytime it snows, for one thing. It will start to snow and I will think I'm a reasonable man, so I know this isn't snow, and chuckle, and I never explain (before now) what I'm thinking.

2. I didn't even do it yet, Calvin & Hobbes:


This strip is twenty-eight years old. I think of it about once a week. What do you suppose Calvin would've grown up to be? I sometimes listen to Mr Bunches talk about his plans.  He was playing with his planetarium the other day and he told me that he's going to be an astronaut and go to Saturn, and also he would be a policeman. He watches science experiments on Youtube and then has us recreate them.  Mr F, meanwhile, tears through the house and neighborhood laughing hysterically, have us chase and wrestle him, swinging acrobatically. They both play games they make up on the fly.

I used to think, when I read and re-read and re-re-read Calvin & Hobbes that it would be kind of awesome to have a kid like Calvin. I think I got two of them.

3. Could You Go To Your Window, The Far Side.



I mean I get why this is funny but I have nightmares about it.


4. Beethoven, Peanuts.


When I was a kid I read a lot, and I did not talk to people a lot. I read a lot of comics especially. I also took piano lessons. I was shocked when my piano teacher taught me Fuur Elise, and said it was by "Bate-Hoven."

I'd always pronounced Beeth in a way that rhymed with teeth, oven, like the stove.



5. Made Or Just Happened, Bloom County.



Made first, then set loose to see what happens.


No comments: