Saturday, January 02, 2016

100 Books: The beginning

I don't go in for New Year's resolutions. When I think of something I want to do I just start doing it, rather than waiting for January 1 to try to achieve something.

But last week I was listing all the books I've read this year to do a ranking of them, and I realized I'd read a lot of books last year.  It got me to thinking. I said to Sweetie "Do you think I could read 100 books in a year?"

"Sure," she said because Sweetie believes in me, which is both gratifying and requires that she ignore 19 years of knowing me.

So I thought about it a few days and today was doing the math: I'd have to read a book every 3.65 days, or two books a week. That's a pretty big task.

I decided to try it. I spend a lot of time frittering around on the Internet, and I sometimes feel like I'm wasting my time on it, just reading stuff that I won't even remember later. So if I were to use that time to read a book instead, I figure I could do it.

So that's what I'm going to do this year. Hopefully it will work out better than my ill-fated quest to do 2,014 pushups in a single year a few years back. At least this one shouldn't set off an asthma attack. *crosses fingers, throws salt over his shoulders.*

I'll list the books and talk about them as I finish them. If you want to join me in this, let me know in the comments and talk about it on your own blog, and we can all help each other. Also, Andrew Leon will probably read 100 books in the first week.




No comments: