Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm the best-dressed lawn mower around.

Storefront_logoHere's how I bought my last suit: I went to the mall, found a big store with men's suits, went in and looked for the suits that were on sale. I picked out one that looked like it would fit, tried it on, paid my $58.99 (plus tax) and then took it home.

Here's how much I like and wear that $58.99 suit: not at all. Well, that's not true. Sometimes, I wear it when I'm working in the yard. I hate it. It's not a good suit, and while I don't spend all that much time thinking about clothes, I wear suits to work because you've got to have a suit on if you're going to sue someone. If you sue someone and show up wearing jeans, they don't take you seriously. You'll have to keep showing them your Bar ID and convincing them you're for real.

So I need a new suit. And clearly, buying the cheapest suit at the mall is not the way to go. I need to get a custom suit, one that was Made to measure for me.

The problem is, I can't find a place around where I live to get one; Wal-Mart isn't doing a lot of custom suits these days, and my expectations for a custom suit are high because I've been checking out the "My Suit" website.

If you go to the "My Suit" website (the links will take you there) they'll walk you through what a custom-suit-buying experience should be; they measure in, like, 30 different places and try on different suits and see how they fit my body type (lean and mean... sort of. Paunchy-and-mean is a little more like it) and my posture (best described as "are you carrying something heavy?) and then they walk you through all the kinds of coats, from one-button to six-button, and all the kinds of pants (with watch pockets and pleats and flat-front) and then all the kinds of fabrics, with swatches of them available to look at online, and then they let you make an appointment.

The appointment, though, has to be in New York. Not Madison. So while I was all enthused about the process, I then had to deal with the fact that my measurements and my custom suit will most likely be made at the PDQ convenience store down the road.

Lucky suit buyers in New York City, though, get to make an appointment to get measured for a mens’ suit, with no obligation to buy one, and then order a suit that will fit like a glove -- making them look, and feel, better.

The $58.99 suit may be the best I can do, but it's not the best YOU can do. Go to My Suit and see what it's like to have a finely-made, perfectly-fitted custom suit at a price that's more than reasonable.

Post?slot_id=23813&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: