Thursday, February 05, 2009

I'll dipthong you: Quote of the Day: 10


"You know what a 'dipthong' is, besides what I'm wearing?"
-- The Boy, last night.

That quote is why it's both gratifying and horrifying to help the kids with their homework. Because even when I might know what they're talking about, they'll go and say something that's hilarious and disturbing.

Also, I didn't know what a dipthong was. Or a solecism. Or the ecliptic, when Middle asked for help with astronomy. I guessed, in order: words with mixed consonant sounds, wise sayings, and the path the moon takes across the sky.

The answers were: a gliding monosyllabic speech sound, a nonstandard usage, and the path the SUN takes through the sky.

On the other hand, I was very successful at watching "Spongebob Squarepants" with Mr F and Mr Bunches. Water seeks its own level, I guess.

Read Quote of the Day 9 here.

No comments: