Monday, October 13, 2008

19 and 20 down, 9,086 to go.


If you read the headlines to these posts, you'll realize that my countdown of all the songs on my iPod just got a little more Wowbaggerian, as I added some new stuff to the lists. I actually added two CDs, but I then deleted some stuff off of there, too, which is now driving me nuts because the moment I delete a song, I think to myself what if I never hear that song again and WANT to hear it?

The songs I deleted were from Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits; having lived with the entire crummy selection for a long time, I pared it down to what it should have been: Tusk, What Makes You Think You're The One and That's Enough For Me. So in reality, there is very little to worry about, as I'm nearly 100% sure that I will never in my lifetime think what if I'm missing out by not hearing a Fleetwood Mac song?

None of the three remaining representatives of Fleetwood Mac are today's song, though. Today's song is picked out to show what a dork I am. Driving my nephew to Chicago yesterday morning, at 5 a.m., I asked if he minded me putting some music on. "I've got a lot of stuff on here," I assured him "So it's not like it's all 40-year-old dorky guy stuff." Then, the first 1/2 hour of music was heavy on Coldplay, Fiona Apple, and this song:



That's a song that betrays my weakness for awesome songs about historical people -- songs like James K. Polk by They Might Be Giants and like this song:



Which is "William Howard Taft" by The Two Man Gentleman Band. Which is also a cool song but both of which belied (along with all the Coldplay and Fiona Apple) my claim that my iPod was not filled with a bunch of 40-year-old dorky guy stuff.

But I'm comfortable with who I am.

Read About Why "James K. Polk" is The Best Modern Song About the 19th Century (you mean there's more than one? Yep!).


Make out:







No comments: