Monday, October 06, 2008

13 down, 9,092 to go

Continuing today's theme of songs that sound inspirational and will make what you're doing seem more significant-- while also tapping into my secret life in which I pretend that my life is actually a movie and people are watching it, which makes me wonder if they would be watching it with interest or simply watching it because they happen to be in the theater and can't leave because they're on a date -- comes song number 13:

Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe, by Okkervil River.



And because I always want to know, I checked and there is really an Okkervil River -- it's outside of St. Petersburg, and there's also a story by that name. The story, according to NPR:

"follows the plight of a middle-aged bureaucrat and his obsession with an obscure singer. When the vocalist turns out to be a timeworn shell of her former self, the story becomes a meditation on how art stands apart from those who create it."

Which means that not only is this a good song, but it's also a song that fits in nicely with October Is Book Month on The Best Of Everything -- which you're keeping up with, right?

So what I'm saying is, if the whole All These Things That I've Done trick doesn't work, put on this song and try pretending that your life is a movie or maybe.



Crabby:







Did you know a short horror story of mine, Don't Eat My Face, will appear in the upcoming anthology "Harvest Hill," available next fall from Graveside Tales? Go to their site to find out more and order your copy! And don't forget to read my other horror stories on AfterDark.

No comments: