Monday, November 17, 2008

Pickle-Face is a surefire ticket to getting me published.

As I get more serious about my writing career, I've begun sending out more queries to agents and more submissions to publishers, all of whom want self-addressed stamped envelopes so that they can tell me that they don't want to publish my stuff, using my 42 cents to reject me. I have to address all of those envelopes, and also put my own return address on the envelope to send in the stuff they'll reject -- because if you don't put a return address on stuff these days, it looks like it came from a nutjob.

That's a lot of writing. Luckily, I live on a street with a short name, but it's still a lot of writing, and also my handwriting, because I'm left-handed and I write quickly, looks like it came from a mentally disturbed chicken.

I have decided, therefore, to become more businesslike and also save me from incipient writer's cramp by getting some designer Address Labels from Vistaprint.com.

Vistaprint.com can get me 140 labels for just $7.99, and I get to customize them to make them a little more personal and memorable. I can use their premade design templates,if I want, but I'm more inclined to go with my own uploaded design, so that I can make sure that the labels I use reflect the image I'm trying to send.

So for the address labels for the serious fiction I write, I'll go with something serious looking-- like an old-fashioned leather-bound book. For the science fiction and horror stuff, I could use one of the scary-pictures from my AfterDark website as a little grabber on the envelope. And for the humor/essays that I send in, I'll probably go with one of the funnier pictures of Mr F and Mr Bunches, like Pickle-Face.

You probably need labels too -- for Christmas cards, or the bills you send out, or maybe to make sure that all of your stuff gets mailed to you in case you accidentally leave it in a train station. So get yours done at Vistaprint.com, too, and we'll all make the mailman's job a little more interesting.

No comments: