Sunday, January 18, 2009

Quote of the Day, 4:

Maybe this is an answer to my question of the day the other day:

A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor.
-- Ring Lardner.

So maybe I should just be enclosing an envelope big enough for the royalty check?

I'm pretty sure I read or was supposed to read some Ring Lardner in my "Humor in American Literature Class" in college, but the only thing I remember reading in that class are the "Guys & Dolls" stories, and also stuff by Robert Benchley.

No, not Jaws. Robert Benchley wrote hilariously dry essays to which Dave Barry owes a great deal of credit.




Five Pages is coming soon. Check back often to find out what that means!

No comments: