Thursday, June 17, 2010

Question of the Day, 70:


Why are beverages sold in packs made up of multiples of six?

Six packs, 12 packs, 24 packs: Why do we sell drinks on a base-6 type of system? (Note to mathematicians: I don't care if it's really not "base 6." I don't even know what base 6 is. I hated math. Except for cool math things like that one about how sunflower seeds are laid out in a Fibonacci sequence, but you can't explain why that is, so leave me alone.)

Nothing else is sold in packs of six, that I can tell. It can't just be a matter of stackability: Sets of four, or 8, would stack just as well. And stackability kind of went out the door when various types of boxes began to be introduced: Coke and Pepsi use different designs for their 24-packs.

So why isn't there a "10 Pack?" Or a "15-Pack?"

No comments: