Thursday, July 15, 2010

the lazy drones from the laborious hive (Friday's Sunday's Poem/Hot Actress 56)

Aeneid 1. 430-37
Vergil

Such is their toil, and such their busy pains,
As exercise the bees in flow’ry plains,
When winter past, and summer scarce begun,
Invites them forth to labor in the sun;
Some lead their youth abroad, while some condense
Their liquid store, and some in cells dispense;
Some at the gate stand ready to receive
The golden burthen, and their friends relieve;
All with united force, combine to drive
The lazy drones from the laborious hive:
With envy stung, they view each other’s deeds;
The fragrant work with diligence proceeds.
_________________________________________________________

About the poem: I picked this section from the Aeneid because I'm secretly hoping it will become the next big piece of mythology to be turned into an epic 3D movie, following in the lead of Beowulf and Troy and Clash Of The Titans, only this time not starring a horrible human being. Then I thought about the comparison here -- Aeneas is comparing workers building to bees working -- and I remembered that the bees are slowly disappearing, heralding the end of the world as we know it (seriously) -- and with that sobering realization, I thought this exact sentence:

"I wonder what the Aeneid was about?" (I've heard about it all my life, but this is the only section of the poem I've ever read.)

About the Hot Actress: Sweetie suggested Jennifer Connelly, and I said "eh." But I'm going with it because I'm lazy. So she's your hot actress, and she was also in that movie with the haunted water.

No comments: