Monday, January 12, 2009

Quote of the Day, 1: "Disquiet," and envy.

From now on, I'll be alternating "Question of the Day" with "Quote of the Day," neither of which is to be confused with "Poem of the Week" or "Soup of the Month." That latter isn't really a thing, but shouldn't it be?

Here's today's quote:


Our envy of others devours us most of all.
-- Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

Here's how today's quote matters in my life:


Last night, having finished Disquiet in one day on Saturday, I went to Barnes & Noble for a new book. I wandered, carrying Mr Bunches, into science fiction, where I saw The Host by Stephanie Meyer. The Host is a book I read about before I knew who "Stephanie Meyer" was, and I put it on my list of books to get. Then I found out who Stephanie Meyer is, and I envied her success and now, I can't bring myself to actually buy The Host. Not yet.

Plus, because of Stephanie Meyer, about 99 of the top 100 books on the best seller list are about vampires. So it's not purely envy that's making me upset with her.

No comments: