Sunday, July 12, 2009

I hope I don't miss anything (Sunday's Poem, 25)


Did I Miss Anything?
Tom Wayman

Nothing. When we realized you weren’t here
we sat with our hands folded on our desks
in silence, for the full two hours

Everything. I gave an exam worth
40 percent of the grade for this term
and assigned some reading due today
on which I’m about to hand out a quiz
worth 50 percent

Nothing. None of the content of this course
has value or meaning
Take as many days off as you like:
any activities we undertake as a class
I assure you will not matter either to you or me
and are without purpose

Everything. A few minutes after we began last time
a shaft of light suddenly descended and an angel
or other heavenly being appeared
and revealed to us what each woman or man must do
to attain divine wisdom in this life and
the hereafter
This is the last time the class will meet
before we disperse to bring the good news to all people
on earth.

Nothing. When you are not present
how could something significant occur?

Everything. Contained in this classroom
is a microcosm of human experience
assembled for you to query and examine and ponder
This is not the only place such an opportunity has been
gathered

but it was one place

And you weren’t here

______________________________________________________________

Life intrudes again: I won't be blogging this week until probably Friday or maybe Saturday, depending on how things go (I've got another one of those trials. It's really annoying how my boss expects me to work for my pay). While I'm off suing people, why not check out the archives on this site, or look at one of my other sites:

The Best of Everything: Just what it sounds like: A roundup of everything that's The Best in any category you can think of... ranging from the most scientifically accurate Modest Mouse song to the Best Olsen Twin.

AfterDark: The scariest stories you'll find anywhere. Serialized short horror stories. Two completed stories right now: What You Need: Taylor has what people need... and that's too bad for him, and "The Grave-Robbers" -- New Sam learns a lot about his family when he turns 12, including why there are so many bodies buried below the house. Plus, The End of Light just started. Will Joe The Magician destroy the world?

"5 Pages." Read a novel the way I write it: 5 pages at a time. In Up So Floating Many Bells Down, you'll meet Sarah, whose fiance drowned the night of her bachelor party -- sending her off to join a group of people trying to prove that there's a serial killer at work. Meanwhile, her brother Dylan leaves town after the tragedy, setting up shop as a writer/photographer in Las Vegas. But he comes back over Thanksgiving one last time before heading to New York... without either of his fiancees.

Lesbian Zombies Are Taking Over The World: 2 weeks ago, Rachel woke up and realized that she didn't know who or what she was. On the advice of her octopus, she headed south, where she met Brigitte. Just as they fell in love, though, Rachel was kidnapped and dragged off an adventure through the 73 dimensions. It's the world's only sci-fi/horror/fantasy/erotic/serial novel!

Are you a frustrated writer? Me, too -- kind of. But I'm less frustrated since I began talking about writing, and getting published -- or, rather, not getting published -- on AAAAAUGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Or: Why is it so hard to get an agent, get published, get rich, and move to Hawaii?) You'll find posts on my efforts to get published, plus how I come up with ideas, plus a lot of fun thoughts about writing.

And, because sometimes I get goaded into it by the need to make a living, I also write about the law on Family and Consumer Law: The Blog. If you have a family, or spend money -- or know someone who does -- this blog is for you.

That oughtta keep you busy. See you next week.

No comments: