Friday, April 10, 2009

Sweetie's Hunk of the Week, 9:

The Hunk of The Week: Rick Springfield. (No, that's not a typo.)

You/Sweetie Know Him As: Sweetie, at least, knows him as the singer of 80% of the five new songs she downloaded this week, 4 songs that include "I Get Excited," but don't, for some reason, include "Jessie's Girl." You may also know him as "That guy who sang that song who turns out to still be alive."

I know him as: The guy who sings "Jessie's Girl." About that song: I swear, for a long time, I thought the lyrics went: You know I wish that I was Jessie's Girl. I never understood that song. But he did at least include the line But the point is probably moot. That line is 97% more intelligent than anything else ever in a rock & roll song.

Thing That Makes You Go Hmmm About Him: On Rick's official website, if you can get past the fact that he's got an album of lullabies coming out, there's a timeline that includes this entry: 1959 Rick becomes interested in history. Plays "gladiator" in backyard in England. (precursor of Gladiator play in 2001).

Reason I Tell Myself Sweetie Likes Him: I didn't realize, until this week, that Sweetie did like him. I also didn't realize, until this week, that he was alive. So I will go with: Sweetie likes him because he is alive.

Actual Reason Sweetie Likes Him: "I love the older sex symbols."

Point I'd Like To Make About Sweetie's Reason For Liking Him: Can I really make another "old" joke here? Yes. Yes I can: How many Rick Springfields does it take to screw in a light bulb? None: the people at the nursing home do it for him.

No comments: