Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1001 Ways To Tune Up The World, Number Twenty.

20. Why not have Radio-DVRs?

It's hard, in tuning up the world, to follow up some ideas with others, and I'm not doing these in any specific order. So really super important ideas like number one, or number nineteen, have to get mixed in with things that aren't quite as life-saving, but which would, nonetheless, help improve the world, and that's my goal here.

And DVR-Radios would help improve the world.

I suppose they'd be DARs, or some such, Digitial Audio Recorders, but whatever you call them, we should have them.

The technology has to exist to create a Radio-DVR and then install it in stereos, iPods, and car dashboards. DVRs are smaller and more accessible nowadays, and modifying it so that it would work only on audio would, it seems to me, be cheaper and easier to do.

It makes sense to do that, too. Radio stations and other broadcasters are creating more and more "podcasts," but those aren't sufficient and they're kind of clumsy. Yeah, yeah, I can download a podcast and listen to "Dan Patrick" on my iPod but I have to download the podcast on my computer, and then load it into my iPod, then hook my iPod up in my car, and that's a lot of extra work. Plus, what if I'm listening to "Dan Patrick" on my drive to Milwaukee and then I get there, but the show's only half over? I don't get to listen to the other half until I get back to my home or office and then I either have to listen to it on my computer, or I have to download it and go through that whole rigamarole? Why couldn't I just hit record and then listen to the rest of the show when I get back from court?

I should be able to do that, and to just set my car radio to DVR "Dan Patrick," and "The Bob & Tom Show" and "Sly In The Morning" and then pick and choose from those to listen to them when I want to listen to them? Doing that would revolutionize radio, making it easier and more possible to listen to radio shows. "Easier" and "more possible" generally equal "more people" and "more money."

After all, we have DVDs and DVRs, and they co-exist, making it convenient to watch "Better Off Ted" when and where I want.

So let's get with it, radio people! And electronics people, I suppose, too. You get with it, too. I've done my part.

Oh, and also, call your senator or representative and tell them to start being human beings instead of pawns of the insurance companies, and to vote for universal health care just as I proposed it. You can find easy ways to get in touch with them just by clicking here.





13. Ban driving any kind of automobile, motorcycle or other personal vehicle within 1-2 miles of downtown in any city with a population of more than 100,000.

12. Abolish gym class; instead, teach kids to play musical instruments.


11. Change copyright laws to allow anyone to use anyone else's creative work provided that the copier pay 60% of the profit to the originator and that the copier not cast the original work in a negative light.

10. Have more sidewalk cafes and outdoor seating.

9. When you have to give someone a gift, ask them what they want, and then get that thing for them.

8. Never interrupt or finish someone's jokes.

7. Periodically, give up something you like for at least a month.

6. Switch to "E-money."

5. Have each person assigned one phone number, and then add an extension for the various phones and faxes that person might be reached at.

4. Abolish Mondays and Tuesdays.

3. Don't listen to interviews with athletes or comedians.

2. Have "personal cashiers" at the grocery store.

1. Don't earn more than $200,000 per year.

No comments: