Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm writing you down... (Friday's Sunday's Poems & Hot Actresses, 45)

Today's Poem:


Fourth Floor, Dawn, Up All Night Writing Letters

by Allen Ginsberg


Pigeons shake their wings on the copper church roof
out my window across the street, a bird perched on the cross
surveys the city's blue-grey clouds. Larry Rivers
'll come at 10 AM and take my picture. I'm taking
your picture, pigeons. I'm writing you down, Dawn.
I'm immortalizing your exhaust, Avenue A bus.
O Thought! Now you'll have to think the same thing forever!


Today's Actress:


Ben Barnes, as suggested by Petri Dish:



Today's Commentary: I've always wanted to read a poem by Allen Ginsberg, since I've heard about him for years and years -- mostly Howl, which I didn't go read. I picked this one out because I liked the title. As poems go, it's not bad -- I liked the ending line, about how writing down a specific kind of thought freezes that thought in time forever.

Today's actress is Ben Barnes, suggested by Petri Dish after I started, last week, posting Hot Actresses with these poems. To those of you who suggest that Barnes is an actor, I will note that I've long held that saying "waiter" or "waitress," or "actor" or "actress" is stupid: just as we have plumbers (not plumbers and plumbesses) and the like, we should just make waiter and actor unisex titles, so that both, say, Courtney Cox and Tom Hanks are actors.

But, if Actor is unisexily applied to women, then actress can be unisexily applied to men, and so Ben Barnes is the hot actress.

No comments: