Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inspirational yogurt would be the second-closest perfect food. (3 Good Things From 2/22/10)

I just looked at my calendar to make sure I got today's date right -- I have to be careful after Sweetie pointed out that I mix up Mr F and Mr Bunches in my posts -- and for some reason initially thought today was Wednesday the 17th... so whatever Sweetie had last week, it's catching.

1. Cheeseburger Doritos are the closest we've come yet to the perfect food. I picked these up at the grocery store last week out of curiousity, and tried them for the first time last night while I read a short story in The New Yorker. And, weirdly, they taste exactly like a cheeseburger. Or, to put it how Sweetie did: "You can even taste the pickle."

2. Pigs are henceforth to be renamed. Learning time last night with Mr Bunches was to go through Snog The Frog and name the animals and say what they sound like, so: Frog goes ribbit ribbit, and so on. When we got to the pig, I had this exchange:

Me: What's that? (Pointing to the pig.)

Mr Bunches: Steve.

3. Turtlenecks are funny. I listened to this as I cleaned up after dinner last night. I'd forgotten how funny and strange Mitch Hedberg was:



"Fruit on the bottom, hope on top."

88 Down, 10,544 to go: Today's song: "I Can See For Miles," by Petra Haden.



Petra Haden originally recorded that song all by herself, in a Swingle-Singer kind of way, using an old multitrack recorder, into which she'd sing the guitar parts, the drum parts, and more, then mixed them altogether. It's a remarkable trick that reinterprets an otherwise-tired song, and one that never grows old.

No comments: