Thursday, April 15, 2010

There's no "Down... To Go" because you get three songs from my iPod, anyway. (3 Good Things From 4/14/10)


I'm "working" from home today... and in a bizarre twist, I actually spent most of the day... pleh... working. Here's 3 Good Things from yesterday to help get me through that traumatic experience.

And just like yesterday, I'm going to deliberately shift my focus from the stuff I do with the family to other areas that also generate good things. Like good music.

I have an Upbeat playlist that I keep on my iPod, full of songs that put me in a good mood pretty much every time I listen to them. I use those songs, sometimes, on the way into work or when I get up or on the way home from work. There's 63 songs, total, on the playlist -- but here's just 3 Good (Musical) Things from that list; I've focused on songs that you wouldn't expect to be on there -- and three that I listened to yesterday, as it turns out.

1. Internet Love Song, Tom Milsom:



I stumbled across that song one day about two years ago, and was so entranced by it that I immediately went and downloaded his album -- Awkward Ballads for the Easily-Pleased. It's the only album I own that has a trilogy of songs about a maybe-dead cat.

I put this song on the Upbeat playlist for two reasons: 1. The ukulele, and 2. "Circumflex underscore circumflex."

2. Hell, Squirrel Nut Zippers:



This song makes the list because I'm not done with swing music, even if the rest of society is (for now.) And also because I used to sing along with it until one day Sweetie told me I sounded like Ricky Ricardo when I sang along with it. So now I don't sing along with it as much -- but when I do, I try deliberately to sound like Ricky Ricardo.

(Also, this is a superfun song to sing to the Babies! while you're bathing them.)(Chill out; they don't understand the words.)

3. Streamline, Newton.



There's no reason I should like this song, which I was introduced to via a Jimmy Fallon Pepsi commercial: both Jimmy Fallon and Pepsi make my teeth feel worn down.

But
, the song just hooks me in. I don't even want it on the Upbeat playlist -- I added it and then regretted it because I don't want to like this song. Every time it comes on I try as quickly as I can to hit the next button but I never do it fast enough and then I end up listening to the song and spending the rest of the day humming it.

Curse you, Jimmy Fallon! (Also, he's pretty funny in his standup on his show.)


No comments: