Friday, December 19, 2008

Also, underneath the dress shirt, I have on my "Nacho Libre" t-shirt.

I was getting ready to go to the office the other day, and I stopped to review my outfit. Nice shoes, nice pants, nice sportcoat, dignified dress shirt and tie... and my NFL leather briefcase and orange puffy winter coat. Lookin' good, I told myself. Lookin' good.

Also, lookin' a little ... underdignified. That's what I've decided. I mean, I'm nearing forty and I'm a lawyer, and while I listen to The White Stripes and can still rock out with the best of them, at least until 9 p.m. when I watch the early news because I like to go to bed by ten, I also have an image to project. People come to me with their problems, and pay me money to make their problems go away, and I don't think they want to see me coming in to try their case with my NFL briefcase and my puffy orange coat.

That's why I've decided to get a good men's cashmere coat. Specifically, that's why I've decided to get this:


That's a cashmere overcoat, the "Brisbane," from Sanyo. I think it looks both dignified and kind of cool; it's not the kind of overcoat that my dad or (God forbid) my grandpa would wear. It's the kind of overcoat that says "You can trust me. I'm a grown-up. And, yes, that's the White Stripes playing in the background in my office."

It's not just the looks that sold me, either. These coats from Sanyo have something called "Breath Thermo technology." I'm no clothing engineer, but they promise to keep me warm in the winter, which is an absolute necessity when living in Winterland... I mean "Wisconsin." If I'm going to replace the orange puffy coat, it has to be with something warm, and the Brisbane is promised to be warm.

So when you see me striding confidently to court next time, I'll be doing so in my nice shoes, my nice pants, my nice sportcoat, my dignified dress shirt and tie... and my new cashmere Brisbane overcoat from Sanyo.

And, also, my NFL leather briefcase. I'm not giving up everything.

No comments: