Friday, December 19, 2008

They Are Made of Marshmallows, Dad: 68 down, 9,157 to go.



I finally was able to put up Giant Rudolph, The Drunken Reindeer, and Pete the Patriotic (And Now Christmas-Y) Parrot up last night, joined this year by the newest addition to our yard decorations, the Snowman.

The Snowman was a gift to Sweetie from my dad, who followed the rules of giving that my family always follows: Learn one fact about a person, then apply that fact to all gifts. That is, once you know one thing about someone, make sure every gift you give that person relates in some way, no matter how tangential, to that fact. That rule is why my family decided that I liked monkeys: I had a "Curious George" T-shirt that I'd bought because when I was a kid I had liked "Curious George" and had a stuffed "Curious George." Because my family saw me wearing that shirt -- exactly one time-- they decided I liked monkeys, and so I was given, over the years, a stuffed monkey, and a monkey lamp, and three ceramic monkeys that had goofy faces.

Sweetie collects "S'mores," those little statues/Christmas ornaments that are like snowmen made out of marshmallows. Because my dad saw that we had a rack of those little ornaments, he decided Sweetie likes snowmen, and so for her birthday she got an outdoor snowman decoration, plus a package of hot chocolates with mugs shaped like snowmen.

I made a deal with her, because I love yard decorations. I swapped her the Snowman in exchange for a birthday-present-to-be-named later, so now she gets her choice of my birthday presents when they come in.

I hope she likes monkeys.

Song 68: Angels We Have Heard On High, by The Brian Setzer Orchestra.



Down... to go: All the songs on my iPod, used to counterpoint all the things that I think. Song 67 here.


Read the first installment of Ninety-Four: my recounting of the year that made me what I am today, by clicking here.

No comments: