Monday, May 04, 2009

If you really wanted a food fight, one could probably be arranged.

When I think about how many classes I didn't go to in college -- and when I think about how kids in classes now sit there with laptops and wireless Internet so that they're equally as likely to be surfing the Net as they are to be listening to the professor -- I think more and more that the idea of online schools makes sense.

Why do people have to go to a brick-and-mortar location to sit in a brick-and-mortar classroom at times that are convenient for the professor but maybe not so convenient for the student? Why, especially, do they have to do that if they're older, or going for a second degree, or live far away from the college they would otherwise attend?

Online schools, I think, are getting more and more accepted these days as employers come to understand that just sitting in a class doesn't guarantee the student is learning anything, and that the people who are willing to take an online class or classes are getting the same education but are more motivated and more likely to pay attention, because they're not sitting in a lecture hall at 7:30 a.m.

That's what I gather, too, from the AllOnlineSchools.com website, a site I found by accident trying to help Middle locate some college information. AllOnlineSchools.com has links and information about accredited -- that's important -- online colleges that can give a nursing degree, psychology degree, paralegals, business degree, even a master's -- all online.

So instead of reading celebrity gossip and blogging you (or I, I suppose) could be getting a degree, or a second degree, taking classes without commuting, backpacks, drafty lecture halls, and food fights.

That AllOnlineSchools.com website also has a bunch of information -- FAQ style-- about online schools, so don't take my word for it. Just go look and judge for yourself.

No comments: