Saturday, May 16, 2009

No more sleepless nights.

Look around the room you're sitting in right now. How many different ways could someone get into that room -- someone you don't WANT getting into that room?

I'm in our living room, 'puting away, and there's the front door over there, and then behind me are two long thin windows and then over by the dining room table are two windows that are big and let in lots of light and also are only 1 1/2' off the ground, perfect for climbing into. Each of those are hidden by bushes or around the side of our house away from the street lights.

The more I think about it, the more our house is a security nightmare, and you know when I think about it the most? Those nights when everyone is asleep and I'm reading in bed and I think I hear something downstairs, and I instantly have to wonder if someone got into the back door in the playroom, the door we never use but which might have been unlocked... and then I have to wonder if I'm going to be able to protect my family and what I could do to stop them from taking any of our stuff or hurting anyone.

How many entry points do you have that could let someone in? I've got about 10, maybe 15 -- which means I could use the Platinum Package wireless security system from GE Protect America: 15 entry points, a motion detector and a garage door sensor, all for just $149 installation -- or about 1/10 of what ADT charges. They monitor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and help can be on the way if someone breaks in. And I don't even have to do anything online. I can just call 877-470-2751 (and by calling that number, I get 2 keychain remotes with the order, so Sweetie and I can both protect the house.)

The garage door sensor especially appeals to me. How could neighbors, or cops, tell if someone opening your garage door wasn't supposed to be doing that? It'd just look normal: a person coming home late at night, pulling in a car. Or while you're away -- your neighbors wouldn't know they weren't supposed to be getting into your garage. So putting an alarm on the garage makes sense.

They've got packages up to 10 entry points with free installation, and the monthly fees are low -- but I'm not worried, for a change, about monthly fees. I'm worried about my family, and how I can keep them safe. And the more I think about it, the more that Platinum package appeals to me. I don't want any more sleepless nights, and I certainly don't want anyone getting into my house.




Post?slot_id=38024&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: