Tuesday, August 18, 2009
1001 Ways To Tune Up The World, Number Thirteen
13. Ban driving any kind of automobile, motorcycle or other personal vehicle within 1-2 miles of downtown in any city with a population of more than 100,000.
This one is a triple whammy of an idea. It will help save on fuel and reduce dependence on oil as fewer cars get driven. It'll reduce pollution. It'll reduce congestion downtown and reduce traffic overall. It'll make downtowns friendlier to pedestrians -- and that's a friendlier downtown, period. It'll make room for more businesses in downtowns by eliminating the need for parking garages.
So it's actually like a quintuple whammy of an idea. And it'll work, too. London already reduced congestion by charging people to drive in the downtown, and New York isconsidering shutting down a few major streets to reduce traffic jams.
12. Abolish gym class; instead, teach kids to play musical instruments.
11. Change copyright laws to allow anyone to use anyone else's creative work provided that the copier pay 60% of the profit to the originator and that the copier not cast the original work in a negative light.
10. Have more sidewalk cafes and outdoor seating.
9. When you have to give someone a gift, ask them what they want, and then get that thing for them.
8. Never interrupt or finish someone's jokes.
7. Periodically, give up something you like for at least a month.
6. Switch to "E-money."
5. Have each person assigned one phone number, and then add an extension for the various phones and faxes that person might be reached at.
4. Abolish Mondays and Tuesdays.
3. Don't listen to interviews with athletes or comedians.
2. Have "personal cashiers" at the grocery store.
1. Don't earn more than $200,000 per year.
Don't wait for Congress to pass universal health care. Instead, get Tonik Health Insurance now. Tonik is a Blue Cross Blue Shield- offered health plan that includes dental, medical, and vision -- and doesn't require 535 people to vote for it before you sign up. So click the link to find out more!