Saturday, September 19, 2009

If there were a Nobel Prize for Humble-Osity/Abs, this guy would win it. (Sweetie's Hunk of the Week, 32)

I am a little late on the Hunk of the Week because Mr Bunches decided to sleep in 35-minute bursts last night, and in between sleeping decided to cry in 98-minute bursts, forcing me to keep checking on him and once to sit in the Babies!' room with him watching a portion of Kung Fu Panda, and then, when I did finally get up this morning after 3 hours sleep, I had to fight with Mr F about whether he was going to be allowed to have chocolate chip cookies for breakfast.

He won.

Don't judge me. Just read about Sweetie's Hunk of The Week, Wolverine... I mean, Juan Martin Del Potro.



You don't know him without you watched the U.S. Open, or you heard that (tiny) portion of the coverage of the US Open that wasn't about rich, juvenile athletes complaining about a game, or, like Sweetie, you happened to be at the health club working out and saw him on a television screen accepting his trophy, a picture that was playing without sound on, prompting you to come home and ask your husband "Who won the U.S. Open?" But your husband didn't know. He was too busy trying to remember when Better Off Ted starts up again. Juan Martin Del Potro won the US Open this week, is my point, and Sweetie picked him because she saw a few soundless seconds of him on TV getting his trophy.

Thing That Makes You Go Hmmm About Him: beyond the sideburns making you think he's going to appear in the likely-never-to-hit-the-big-screen Twilight sequel? How about this: Juan Martin Del Potro, already blessed with tennis skills and an abundance of hair, also has three nicknames. They are: Palito, Delpo, and Enano. I ran those through the Babel Fish translator, and they translate to: Enano, Palito and Dwarf. I then ran them through, just for fun, a bunch of other translations: English to Chinese, Portuguese to French, Klingon to Calculcus, and in each case, they translated to those same three words. But then, I tried entering those words into the lottery, just on a whim, and my plane crashed and I ended up meeting this guy who lived in a hatch, and he looked just like Juan Martin Del Potro.




Sweetie insisted that I put in a "nice picture.
One where he shaved."
Her wish is my command. Here is
a picture of Juan Martin the morning
after the full moon.


Reason I Tell Myself Sweetie Likes Him:
When I googled her question "Who won the US Open" and found out it was Hugh Jackman posing as Juan Martin, I couldn't figure out what the big deal was, so I supposed that it was because he was foreign, and women always dig the foreign dudes, right? But Sweetie said
"I didn't know he was Spanish. He didn't look Spanish." (Juan Martin, being from Argentine, is Spanish as far as Americans are concerned. When we bother to break down foreigners into groups smaller than simply Foreigners," we rarely do so with any more precision than "Spanish" or some such grouping.)

Actual Reason Sweetie Likes Him: "He just seemed so humble and nice, accepting his trophy."

Point I'd Like To Make About Sweetie's Actual Reason For Liking Him: The sound was off. Which means Sweetie was judging "humble" and "nice," apparently, by how much sweat was glistening on his not-Spanish-looking muscles:




He looks humble. Especially around the bicepular region.


Humbler, still!



My god, the man is like
Gandhi, only far more humble.



No comments: