Thursday, August 13, 2009
1001 Ways To Tune Up The World, Number Eight
Another one that requires you to do something. Or in this case, not do something.
8. Never interrupt or finish someone's jokes.
There's a lot of ways a little forbearance and courtesy can make the world a better place. I chose to begin with this one, because it's easy.
When someone tells a joke you know, or a riddle, or a limerick, just let them tell it. What do you get out of saying Oh, yeah, I know -- the cat stole the car! or otherwise taking away their moment of glory? What's it take, a minute out of your life? Just listen and laugh and nod. Don't even say I heard that one before or anything. Just listen and laugh and nod. They'll get a good feeling-- I made someone laugh! -- and you'll get a good feeling, because you'll laugh, and everyone will move on, feeling a little happier.
7. Periodically, give up something you like for at least a month.
6. Switch to "E-money."
5. Have each person assigned one phone number, and then add an extension for the various phones and faxes that person might be reached at.
4. Abolish Mondays and Tuesdays.
3. Don't listen to interviews with athletes or comedians.
2. Have "personal cashiers" at the grocery store.
1. Don't earn more than $200,000 per year.