Friday, August 14, 2009
1001 Ways To Tune Up The World, Number Nine
I owe this one to Sweetie, who really gave me the idea for it long ago...
9. When you have to give someone a gift, ask them what they want, and then get that thing for them.
About 5 years ago, I asked Sweetie to make me a list of things she might want for her birthday. "Why bother?" she asked. "You never get me anything off the list, anyway." That started a discussion about lists and why I didn't get her things off of them (I wanted to be creative and have fun with it) and why it would be better to get things off a list (she wanted to get gifts she actually wanted.)
Since then, at gift-giving time, I have people give me lists of things they'd like for a gift, and I go off the list and get them one of those things. If I want to surprise them, I have them give me a long list. If I want to get creative, I get them something off the list and something fun or interesting.
Remember, you're giving them a present because you want to show you appreciate or love them -- why not make sure it's something they want?
8. Never interrupt or finish someone's jokes.
7. Periodically, give up something you like for at least a month.
6. Switch to "E-money."
5. Have each person assigned one phone number, and then add an extension for the various phones and faxes that person might be reached at.
4. Abolish Mondays and Tuesdays.
3. Don't listen to interviews with athletes or comedians.
2. Have "personal cashiers" at the grocery store.
1. Don't earn more than $200,000 per year.
Don't wait for Congress to pass universal health care. Get coverage now with Tonik Health Insurance. Tonik Health Insurance is an Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield medical plan that includes medical, dental, and vision in every plan. It's available in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Nevada and New Hampshire. So get covered now!