Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I'll take bids on the Packer football, but I'll never part with the Flutie photo. NEVER!

I have only two things that could properly be considered sports collectibles: my football autographed by every member of the Superbowl-winning, Brett Favre-led Green Bay Packers, and my far-more-valuable photo of me standing in front of Doug Flutie's empty locker in Buffalo.

I bet that latter one is priceless.

But I've had my hands on some other sports memorabilia. I had an autograph from former Packer Brent Fullwood. And I got Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez to autograph some junk for my father-in-law.

All in all, though, kind of a sad collection, given how much I love sports.

I was thinking about that tonight because I was browsing around "Authentic Sports Collectibles.com," a site that sells... authentic sports collectibles. I browsed over there in the first place because The Boy's birthday is coming up, and if anything, he's more of a sports nut than I am, and I thought maybe getting him some autographed stuff might be kind of cool -- we checked out a store once when we were on vacation, and he seemed to like it.

This site, the Authentic Sports Collectibles.com, seemed to be even better than a store at a mall. It's easier to find stuff, for one thing. The Boy likes football best, and they've got tons of autographed football stuff -- so much that I got lost in nostalgia browsing around. I went looking for maybe an autographed jersey and got all distracted by the classic autographs they have: Mean Joe Greene, Joe Namath, Bart Starr -- I was just clicking on all of them, until I noticed that they had a Ben Roethlisberger autographed jersey. He's The Boy's favorite, and it's on sale now-- most of their stuff is on sale.

They offer free shipping on any order over $100, and it's easy, even FUN, to click around and find all kinds of things. Now I've just got to go wake Sweetie up and explain to her why this is not only a good present, but a good INVESTMENT, too. Just like my comic books.

No comments: