Sunday, July 19, 2009

I have a little bit of experience with this topic.

If you read me for any length of time, you know that, as a lawyer, there's one thing I'm always telling people to do, and that is this: bring me ice cream.

Yes, that's the kind of skill and knowledge I bring to my profession, and I do that for you, my clients.

But there's a second thing I say, almost as often, and that second thing is this: get a lawyer.

Get a lawyer.
Get a lawyer.
Get a lawyer.

I can't say it enough. If you have a legal problem, you need a lawyer. Even I, when I run into legal questions, hire a lawyer. (That is, I walk down the hall and tell someone in my firm: Drop what you're doing and get in my office. Then I add: Bring ice cream.)

You need a lawyer to fight for your rights, to make sure that you are fully represented, and you in particular need a lawyer that works for you, the consumer, not for corporations. Lawyers that stick up for the little guy. Someone like David Hughes Harris, the community justice lawyer in Florida who makes it a priority to take cases he believes in, cases that he can get behind and work on rather than leave on a shelf somewhere moldering.

It's that kind of commitment you want in a lawyer, whether your case is a motorcycle accident or lawsuit against a corporation or slip-and-fall: You want a lawyer committed to winning, not just to billing you. I've seen a lot of cases slip through the cracks of law firms, cases where the lawyer just didn't believe in the case or just didn't want to see it through to the end. Those people would have been better off getting a good lawyer first.

So, if you have a legal question, a legal concern, a legal problem: get a lawyer. And make it a lawyer that's committed to you, to your case, to your goals.

No comments: