Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Question of the Day, 65:


Was I required to talk to her?

Yesterday, I went into the kitchen in our office to get a glass of ice water. I was standing there, filling my glass (slowly) and another lawyer came walking in. I'd already talked to this lawyer today, and had nothing new to say to her. I also had my back to the room and never directly faced her, although I knew she came in.

She came in, grabbed something, and left, all without saying anything to me, but then I felt weird and a little guilty and antisocial (but not in my normal antisocial way) and wondered if I was required, by etiquette or society or something, to have turned around and said "Hi" or something.

I don't think I was, and I can't go back and undo it so I just am left wondering what I was supposed to do in that situation. Society is hard.

No comments: